Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Blue Castle Read-Along Chapters 4-8


Grace's Thoughts

My mother defines thoughtless as without thought and that is exactly what Valency's family is. Thoughtless: not sparing a thought for Valency amid their own self centered-ness. Their desire to lord over each other their own "importance", trumps any kind of unselfish love that could be extended to Valancy.  Or any one else for that matter. I am very grateful she has decided to let fear go and enjoy what's left of her life.


Does anyone think Uncle Benjamin's jokes are kinda funny? They're mildly clever, but his timing has much to be desired!


I love the quote from Magic of Wings: "Fear is the original sin. Almost all the evil in the world has it's origin in the fact that someone is afraid of something. It is a cold, slimy serpent coiling about you. It is horrible to live in fear; and it is of all things degrading" This is so true!


I like Barney Snaith, even though I don't have much to go on to like him! That list of his criminal activity is positively hilarious!


Katherine and I have been teasing each other all week about the Redfern's Blood Bitters, Liniment and Purple Pills!!! I looked up what Blood Bitters are and Burdocks Blood Bitters were billed to cure constipation!


I love the end of Chapter 8. Yes! Smash that potpourri!!! Now we're going to see something!!

Katherine's Thoughts

How do I say what I'm thinking??
AAGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
I'm still TERRIBLY DEPRESSED over these new chapters as with the last!!.....though it finally looks like Valancy is going to grow herself a backbone and start making some changes to her life!  Yay!!  So exciting!!

Gene Kelly Happy Dance GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY  

But on the positive note: I love the description of Barney with the town's gossip over his "questionable" character and overall lifestyle!  

A Friendly Game of Poker | jkc photos | Flickr

Gotta tell ya....I'm suspectin' he ain't gonna leave this here story any time soon.....and I'll let you all draw your own conclusions as to why!

I just love the names "Redfern's Bitters", "Purple Pills", and "Redfern's Linament"!

Vintage medicine ad | Old medicine bottles, Vintage medical ...

Things do not bode well for Valancy with Dr. Trent's diagnosis of her heart, but I'm glad that this shocking news is going to "shock" her right out of her complacency to accept things as they are.  However, I don't want to come across saying that I believe Valancy or any other young woman should not honor her elders, but as my Mam'ma was saying, it is right that she should speak up to for herself as long as it is done respectfully.  Taking the Stirling Clan's personalities in mind however, I think Valancy would have to seek an outside source for help to resolve this seemingly impossible situation.  I still have my doubts about this idea working, though.  Oh, why did Lucy Maud Montgomery have to put Valancy in such a quandary???

Top 30 Nervous GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

It will be interesting to see what will happen in the chapters to come with Valancy's new outlook on life!

Animated gif about quote in Filmes by Marcelline Jones

To think how her family gave her such a miserable life by withholding from her any joy or love! How awful of them!  I feel so sorry for her!  And OLIVE!!  SHE'S DREADFUL!!

Frou Frou: Summer Magic 
🎜🎜'She's the pink of perfection....made of skim milk and rice'🎜🎜!  Hee Hee!  (Have any of you seen Summer Magic?  If not, that little diddy was totally lost on you - go watch the movie - it's great!)



Alrighty, sooooooo........this next week we will be reading chapters 9-12 in The Blue Castle.  How is the new pace of four chapters per week working out?  Is is ok?  Still too slow?  Too fast?  Let us know!  

Your Thoughts

And what did you think of this past weeks reading??  Who is your favorite character?  Your least favorite?  What do you think Valancy should do in the upcoming chapters?

We are waiting with bated breath to hear your commentary!!



Love, 

Katherine & Grace

3 comments:

  1. Yes to your comments! I was so surprised with Dr. Trent's diagnosis! I feel so sorry for Valancy with all the horrible things that her relatives say to her. Those stories make me so sad, but I'm happy that she is going to start a "new chapter" but living her life while she can!

    (Btw, these gifs are great! XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree!!! Thank you, we have alot of fun putting them in!

      Delete
    2. I know - she has such an awful life! Yes, here, here for a new chapter!!
      I'm glad you like the gifs!! :) :) Grace and I giggle over our "gif insertions" for these posts! :)

      Delete