Thursday, August 30, 2018

Dear Brat Movie Review






Dear Brat (1951) Stars: Mona Freeman, Billy De Wolfe, Edward Arnold, Lyle Bettger, Mary Philips, Natalie Wood, Frank Cady ~ Director: William A. Seiter

Now, this is what I call positively a prominent thing indeed; a third, a THIRD wonderfully witty, and hilarious movie in this charming Dear Ruth series!!  I must confess to you though that Bill Seacroft (William Holden), Ruth Seacroft (Joan Caulfield), and Ziggy (Raymond Roe) were, sadly, not in Dear Brat.  (Pardon me while I go weep bitterly on my fainting couch.............there, sniff sniff, I am back now.  I couldn't find, sniff, that couch I eluded to and therefore my dramatic outburst was utterly ruined in entirety!.......Actually I never stirred an inch from that from which I am sitting.  But you no doubt guessed that already.)  Ruth and Bill are still in the background of the story, as they take a trip and leave their twins to their family's care.

Dear Brat's Storyline:

Miriam Wilkins (Mona Freeman) further maintains her reputation for always conjuring up mischief, by hiring a new gardener.  (Yes, I said gardener). What is so bad in hiring a gardener you may ask?  Well, it does pose a slight problem when that very same gardener is an ex-convict!  And not just an ex-convict, but an ex-convict Judge Wilkins, (Edward Arnold), sentenced himself!

My Thoughts:

You will love this movie!  I am of the opinion that, though I love all of them, "Dear Wife", and "Dear Brat" are my favorites out of the three!  I must say that Miriam's new boyfriend in this movie is rather disappointing.  He honestly wasn't much help at all in the end where Miriam needed him, and after an argument during the movie, both he and Miriam never, really officially made up and ended things happily.  But Billy De Wolf (Albert Cummer) is once again in this movie and he and Mona Freeman play their parts to a T.  I hope you all get all three of the movies in this trilogy!  They were such a joy to find and add to our classic favorites!

     
Well, that's all folks!  Thank you, Cordy, @ http://writeoncordy.blogspot.com/, for hosting this Month of Classics Blog Party; it's been fun!  Talk to you all soon!

~ Katherine ~

P.S.  Here are a few sources for you to buy the "Dear Ruth Trilogy" from:

https://www.lovingtheclassics.com/dear-ruth-dear-wife-dear-brat-film-series.html

https://search.freefind.com/find.html?si=86377007&pid=r&n=0&_charset_=UTF-8&bcd=%C3%B7&query=dear+ruth

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=dear+ruth+movie&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=dear+ruth+1941+movie

4 comments:

  1. I watch MANY classic films, but I've never seen this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love classics as well! So many people are missing out on them without knowing it!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this movie, or the other movies you reviewed. I'll have to check them out some day - I'm always looking for a good classic to sink my teeth into ;).

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete