Sunday, June 10, 2018

Writers Corner


Hello, Dear Friends,

     My dear sister and I, once upon a time, wrote a radio drama called Pickleton Plateau. We thought it would be fun to share it with you, piece by piece. It is still in script form so bear with us! The setting is a small Jewish community, closely knit akin to Hope Valley/ Avonlea/ Cranford. Here is a basic character list of those you will meet in our delightful little town, we may need to update it as we go along:

  • Rabbi Akiva Detwiler and his wife Rebbetzin Chava Detwiler
  • Mayor Mordecai Schapiro and his wife Julianne Schapiro
  • Mrs. Lydia Rosen- Prorpiter of boarding house
  • Mrs. Elvira Stern- Matchmaker
  • Mr. Isiah Babbino- Owner of general store
  • Mr. Nigel Churchill- Owner and editor of the Chronicle
  • Miss Vivian Silver- Switchboard operator 
  • Miss Katz- School Teacher
  • Miss Anastasia Mendoza- owner of small seamstress shop
  • Miss Ella Bach- Piano teacher
  • Mr. Hugh Micheals- newcomer

We hope you enjoy!

Pickleton Platue
Scene 1
The Ladies Aid Society's members are sitting in Lydia Rosens parlor

Anastasia- Alright ladies, Mrs. Rosen would like to begin.

Lydia- Thank you Anastasia. I'd like to welcome you all to the first Ladies Aid Society meeting of December 1907.

(everyone applauds)

Lydia- Now, everyone is not here tonight; as you know both Vivian and Ella's mothers are down with a cold, and Marion is working late tonight at the post office. But we do have our dear Rebbetzin back from her trip to New York.

Chava- And it's so good to be home! I love my brother, but I can only stand the smell of his fish shop for so long.

Lydia- I believe Julianne has the floor first with her proposition on this year Hanukkah celebration.

Julianne- Yes, thank you Lydia. Ladies, throughout the past years our town has become a laughing stock in regard to it's Hanukkah festivities.

(Exclamations of agreement)

Julianne- Need I remind you of last years horrific display of local talent, if you can call it that, for example the Berger brother's juggling act that decapitated my ice sculptures and thoroughly branded us with incompetence.

(More agreements)

Julianne- This year, it must be different! I propose that the Pickleton Plateau Ladies Aid Society hold a celebration in town hall on the first night of Hanukkah. We will have a Latke and Kegli competition, the young peoples choir can perform some holiday favorites and the school children will have the honor of performing the four act opera that I have written just for the occasion.

(School teacher Miss Katz chokes on tea amid last statement)

Lydia- Julianne that is a wonderful idea.

Vivian- Oh yes, I can just see it now.

Miss Katz- (Hesitatingly) Yes very nice, but I'm afraid the children have already been working on a Hanukkah program and a four act opera is simply out of the question!

Julianne- Honestly Miss Katz, I'm sure the children can----

Lydia- In that case why don't we ask the Plateau Players to perform it as a benefit for tzedakah?

Chava- We could send it to the Orphanage in Boston where Lydia's daughter works.

Anastasia- What a wonderful idea!

Julianne- Well, perhaps it is a bit much for youngsters to handle.

Elvira- A bit???

Chava- Elvira!!

Elvira- What? I'm just saying what everyone's thinking.

Chava- Some things are meant to stay thoughts and not shared.

Lydia- Well said Rebbetzin. Now for the vote, all in favor of putting together a Hanukkah Celebration raise your hands... Congratulations Julianne it's unanimous!

(Applause)

Scene 2
(Inside the General Store)

Hugh- (In British accent) Pardon me sir? Do you work here?

Isaiah Babbino- (Speaks with French accent) Oui. Monsieur Isaiah Babbino, proprietor of this fine establishment, at your service.

Hugh- Isaiah Babbino? Intriging name.

Babbino- What can I say, you cannot argue with your parents about your name when you can't even talk! What can I do for you? You are new in town yes?

Hugh- Yes I am. Most amusing name for a town I must say, however did you decide on Pickleton Plateau?

Babbino- Ach, I am happy to say I had nothing whatsoever to do with it. The founder of our town, a Mr. Jebidiah Pickleton, named it after himself and the fact that the town rests on a plateau. He thought it fit. Our name is the one and only respect that Rosington Falls is ahead of us.

Hugh- Rosington Falls? How charming.

Babbino- Ach, our neighboring town 15 miles west of here. Unfortunately, thier square footage is twice the size of ours, but let me redilly assure you, Monsieur, we are just as respectable!

Hugh- Naturally, I don't doubt it. Do you know where I can find Mr. Nigel Churchill of the Chronicle?

Babbino- I should have known. The accent, the physic, the horrible fashion; you look like the he would hire. You will find Nigel across the way in that tiny brick building with the rose garden.

Hugh- Ah, I am very much obliged to you Monsieur.

Babbino- Au revoir

Hugh- Bon Voyage!

Babbino- If you don't know French, don't disgrace it with your senseless mutterings.

Hugh- My apologies. Oh, I almost forgot, where might I find lodgings?

Babbino- Well, if your the uppity type, the Astor Hotel here on Main Street, but if you are a man who enjoys getting to know people, which I highly doubt being British, Lydia's Boarding House, on Brentwood Avenue, one block over.

Hugh- Brilliant. Thank you sir. I'll be on my way. Cherio

Scene 3
(Anastasia's Boutique)

Ella- Are you sure Anastasia? I don't want to look to gaudy.

Annastasia- Gaudy? My dear Ella you offend me! This dress is not gaudy, by any stretch of the imagination; it's ravashing! Who wouldn't want to court you when he can't take his eyes off of you?

Ella- I'm not looking for a husband I-

Anastasia- Yes, but soon you will mark my words.

Ella- Well... it is a nice shade of blue, even if you can't really see the blue for all the lace... Alright, I'll take it!

Anastasia- Oh yes, I just knew it was for you when I made the last stitch and put it in the window!

Ella- Really? Well, put it on my tab and when I get paid next week, I pay you alright?

Anastasia- Perfect.

Ella- Thank you Anastasia.

Anastasia- Your very welcome Ella. It's my pleasure to see you in something nicer than the plain old rags you always wear.

Ella- Thank you... I think.

Anastasia- Anytime goodbye!

(Ella begins to exit shop and bumps into Hugh walking down sidewalk)

Ella- Goodbye, oh I'm so sorry. I was not watching where I was going.

Hugh- Not at all, it was entirely my fault.

(Door closes)

Anastasia- Hmm, well well well, look what we have here. A knight in shinning armor come to sweep Ella off her feet and carry her into the sunset on a fiery white steed. Ohhh, how romantic!



To be continued next week...

Please comment below and let us know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love it very much! I can't wait for the next installment!

    (Please, forgive the late comment, I have been horribly late all month...)

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Catherine! The next installment should be out in a day or so. So glad you are enjoying it! No worries on the late comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it !!! I totally think you should do a play of it at church when it’s finished 👍

    ReplyDelete