Monday, August 26, 2019

It's So Classic Tag


     Once again Hamlette has honored us with her taggage! So without further ago.....

The Rules
1. Link your post to Rebellious Writing
2. Answer the questions
3. Tag at least 5 bloggers

1. What is one classic that hasn't been made into a movie yet, but really needs to?

~ Grace ~ 
The "Betsy - Tacy" Series would be an awesome TV show!
~ Katherine ~ 
"By the Great Horn Spoon" by Sid Fleischman.... hmmm, maybe I'd cast Hugh Jackman as Praiseworthy!

2. What draws you to a classic?

~ Grace ~
 The thought that thousands of people across the ages have loved these books. They read them at different times of history and maybe it affected how they saw things, and shaped why they did what they did. I think it's so incredibly neat that I can read the same books as famous people of history, see the same words and possibly think the same thoughts. 
~ Katherine ~
     More than likely a classic will take me back to a time where your abode was akin to Pemberly and you had a wardrobe to die for- need I give more reasons for why these books should draw me in??

3. What is an underrated classic?

~ Grace ~
 "Mara, Daughter of the Nile" by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. It's just so good and is another that should get a movie adaptation!
~ Katherine ~
 "The Cay" by Theodore Taylor - this was a favorite growing up after Mama read it aloud to Grace and I for school.

4. What is one classic you didn't expect to love, but ended up loving anyways?

~ Grace ~
 "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen; I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it through this one (like "Pride and Prejudice"), but I became so engrossed in the idiosyncrasies of the characters  that I didn't have time to be fuddled over anything else!
~ Katherine ~
 "Mission to Cathay" by Madeline Polland - Grace and I both balked about reading this book, but Mamma insisted and we both ended up enjoying it!

5. What is your favorite and least favorite classic?

~ Grace ~
 My favorite is "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. My least favorite is "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka which I was supposed to read for school, but it was just too weird!
~ Katherine ~
 Least favorite: "Of Nightingales That Weep" by Angela Ragusa. I REALLY did not like this book. The ending was just too much for me... you'll have to read it yourselves to know what I mean!
Favorite: "Anne of Green Gables" by Lucy Maud Montgomery... who's with me?

6. What is your favorite character from a classic? Or, if that's too hard, what is your favorite classic character trope? (e.g strong and silent, quiet sidekick, ect.)

~ Grace ~
Currently my favorite character is Atticus Finch from "To Kill A Mocking Bird"by Harper Lee
~ Katherine ~
 Mrs. Rachel Lynde. The "Anne of Green Gables" books would not be the same without her matter-of-fact opinions and no nonsense approach to life.


7. What's a popular classic you thought wasn't actually that great?

~ Grace ~
 "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald as I could not get past the purposelessness of life depicted  there and all the affairs that were somehow "ok".
~ Katherine ~
 Maybe this doesn't count since I only watched the movie, but I did not enjoy "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway one bit. I mean we spent over an hour watching some old man get the catch of his life, be dragged all over the ocean by this same fish, warding sharks off his fish, but by the time he gets to shore safely with it, there isn't really anything left! 
Now, to speak honestly, what did I miss in this?

8. Who is your favorite classic author?

~ Grace ~
 L.M Montgomery
~ Katherine ~
 Jane Austen. Easiest answer so far! Without her I wouldn't of known that a husband was not compassionate of his poor wife's nerves. Or that that maybe pride is not pride, but prejudice. Or how unjust someone may have been; weak and resentful even, but never inconstant!!!  AGHHH!!  Now, I need to go watch Persuasion....maybe get a big bowl of ice cream too!  Which flavor, which flavor?
(Calls- Grace, I'll be downstairs??!)


9. In your opinion, what makes a classic a classic?

~ Grace ~
 A book that can appeal to a wide range of audiences, has many nuggets of truth embedded within and that has an important message to spread.
~ Katherine ~
 A book with a very compelling story, one whose themes and characters are full of merit.

10. Relating to newer books, what attributes does a book need to have in order to be worthy of the title "Classic"?


~ Grace ~
 I've never been one to analyze books and recognize good writing/ character arcs and such, so I don't really know what to put down. When I think of classic I get more of a picture of an old dusty study than a list of attributes! 
~ Katherine ~
A "Classic" must have the element of being timeless.  Frances Hodgson Burnett wrote "The Secret Garden"  in 1911, but more than a century later we are all still reading it!

We Tag:
Anyone who has yet to be tagged 
or
 Anyone who wishes they would be tagged
 or
 Anyone who likes classic books!


See ya'll later!
Grace & Katherine


8 comments:

  1. You guys have good answers! Anne of Green Gables and A Tale of Two Cities are two of my favorites, and Atticus Finch is one of the best characters of all time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I just finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird as we were working on this tag and Atticus is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Great answers here. I just posted mine on my blog here https://wp.me/pauSsa-WS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Davida! So excited that our blog reached you in Israel!!

      Delete
  3. I was surprised to see Mrs Lynde put down as a favorite character, but I think she's great ;) Great answers, girls! Thanks for joining in on the fun.

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! Really enjoying your blog. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this.This sounds interesting..Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete