Sunday, August 12, 2018

Dear Ruth Movie Review


Synopsis
'Lt. William Seacroft (William Holden), on leave from the Italian front, arrives at the New York home of Ruth Wilkins (Joan Caulfield), with whom he has been corresponding. Unknown to both Ruth and Bill, Ruth's younger sister, Miriam (Mona Freeman), has been writing the letters and signing Ruth's name as part of a program to keep up soldiers' morale. Although Ruth has just gotten engaged to a coworker, she agrees to see Bill and pretend she wrote the letters -- which has unexpected results.' From IMBd

     Let me begin this review by saying that we are preparing to leave on vacation and are running around like chickens with our heads chopped off, soooo this review will be very short and no doubt not do the movie justice! All I can say is watch the movie! My parents have not laughed this much at a movie in a very long time! The acting was superb, the story line excellent and it has William Holden so hey, there you go!

Favorite Characters

The youngest sister Miriam, was my personal favorite character. Her patriotic rants about members of the last generation, war bonds and keeping up the morale of our boys, coupled with her serious expressions and semi-monotone voice gave her such comedic relief.
My second favorite character is Albert Kummer, who plays Ruth's sensible fiancee, assistant to the assistant bank clerk. When Bill comes home and Ruth decided to play along with the charade till he leaves, Albert is less than thrilled and uses every opportunity to play chaperone! His comedic timing is amazing and without him the whole movie would fall apart in my humble, but accurate opinion!

Wrap up

I would totally recommend this movie to everyone; there are no inappropriate scenes, no bad language (that I can remember), and aside from some kissing, no romantic flimflam! I will say that Katherine and I both thought the actress who played Ruth could have done better at portraying more emotion, but she is still very good and it is not such a noteworthy complaint as to miss out on the whole film! I hope you enjoy it and would love to hear feedback if you have seen the movie or hope to in the foreseeable future!

Yours truly
Grace

12 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't seen this film but I hope to in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooo good, Katie; you have to see it! In our next post on Sunday, we are reviewing the sequel! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this, but William Holden is always a good time, right? ;-) Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hamlette! And yes, William Holden is the best!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love William Holden! He plays such a fun character in these movies!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, we love William Holden! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so want to see this movie in the near future! I'll have to see what I can do.

    Your review was wonderful even with the short time you had. (I hope you enjoyed your trip!)

    Also, this bit, " in my humble, but accurate opinion!" was pretty funny. Very good. :D

    Thanks for joining the party fun!

    ~Cordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cordy, the quote is from my brother, Sherlock! Thank you for hosting the party!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for hosting the party in the first place, Cordy!

      Delete
  5. I watched this cute little movie for the first time recently and loved it! Miriam got on my nerves after a while, but I still think this is a film that deserves more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love it! I confess Miriam was one of my favorite characters! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete