Wednesday, July 31, 2019

In the kitchen with Anne

     For quite some time we have been trying to get ahold of the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook to try some of the recipes. Last week our hold at the library came up so how perfect??? I (Grace) was holding out for the Liniment cake or the Raspberry Cordial, but alas Katherine has decided on the Plum Pudding, so I shall turn you over into her capable, all be it floury hand, for


In the Kitchen with Anne


The Book: Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

The Challenge: Marilla's Plum Pudding with Caramel Sauce

The Chef: Katherine

Ready, Set, GO!!

Hello, it's Katherine here!  As Grace as has already spilled the beans over what I am making I shall not keep you in any suspense.....as there is no longer any suspense to keep you in (glares at Grace).
I'll paste a link here where you can go look up the recipe if you so desire to try it yourself.  For simplicity's sake I'll just run through the cooking steps briefly.

https://www.food.com/recipe/marillas-plum-pudding-anne-of-green-gables-362240

https://www.food.com/recipe/caramel-pudding-sauce-without-the-mouse-anne-of-green-gables-362234

So, first I combined the ingredients- molasses, raisins, flour, butter, sugar, breadcrumbs, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, chopped walnuts, milk, and one egg.  


Once combined, I poured the mixture into my make do "pudding mold", a small stainless steel bowl, and covered it with tin foil, securing it with a string.  (I had buttered and "sugared" the inside of the mold previously.)  Then I put the mold into a large pot, filled it with water till it came up halfway on the small bowl, and steamed the pudding for three hours.  Yes, you heard right, three hours.  



After about three hours, the pudding was deemed done, and with the day's goings on, the pudding was set aside to finish the next day or so. (I still needed to make the caramel sauce for on top.)
Ok, here's the hilariously ironic part, everybody.....I left the pudding out overnight by mistake!!!  But- it was covered and no mouse was found in it the next morning!
So, the next step- the caramel sauce!  Two days later, I pulled out the pudding of the fridge and placed it in the oven to heat up while I prepared the sauce.  I combined the sugar, flour, and salt in a saucepan, and gradually added the boiling water and mixed everything together. Then I cooked the mixture till it thickened, and then I took it off the heat and added the butter and vanilla.  Voila!  The caramel sauce was finished!
I read a library book at the table, while waiting for the pudding to heat through, then once it was ready, I took it out and poured the caramel sauce on top!  





Then I had to try it....all by myself no less as everyone had gone to bed!  It was delicious!  Such a lovely combination with the fudgy molasses pudding and the caramel on top!  I would definitely recommend you all checking this cookbook out of the library if possible and trying this recipe!  So, so yummy!

Well, I did it!  Quite a bit more work involved than I thought, but it was worth it in the end!
Well, I think I might just go polish off some more of that pudding!  Farewell, everyone!




--Katherine--

No comments:

Post a Comment