Thursday, June 17, 2021

In Which Two Friends Share Music!




I absolutely adore music! If I am in a room, odds are there is music playing. It drives my mother (who's favorite saying is "Silence is golden") crazy, but I think and work best with something playing in the background. 
Recently, my friend Chalice and I have been sharing our favorite songs back and forth and really enjoying discovering each others' different jams. And then we thought we decided it would be fun to do a themed playlist swap on our perspective blogs! Chalice chose the theme "Songs That Tell A Story", and after scouring our musical libraries, we sent a 15 song playlist to the other for her perusal.  Here is my reaction/thoughts on Chalice's playlist!

#1 Mushanga- TOTO

I love this one! The music that builds up to the chorus and then the chorus itself is so cool.

Favorite Line: "You smiled though you were suffering, I didn't understand... till i saw your eyes and then I knew."


#2 My Story- B. Reith

I'm not that big of a Rap fan, but wow! I can relate so much to this song, from "the wonder years are over now somehow I'm fully grown" to "there is no way to count all the mistakes I have made and I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Your grace" to "but what's done is done and I can't press re-wind and all of my regrets are chasin' me from behind, but the future's unwritten I'm racing to the finish line..." What a great song!

Favorite Part: The whole 3rd verse!



#3 People Change- for KING & COUNTRY

Aww, this one's so bittersweet! I really like for KING & COUNTRY's music.

Favorite Line: "Wanna travel back in time, say the things I didn't say, I wanna tell you everything if it's not too late..."


#4 Your Word is Life- Kyle Mathews

The Lazarus imagery is really neat in this song.

Favorite Line: "Your Word can breathe the life back into me".



#5 She's Just Dancing- David Wilcox

I got a bit confused with the hunter metaphor the first time I listened to this...and then I still didn't really get it on the second time...but on the third try I think I got it...I think!  Seriously, Chalice, I still don't really know what this song is about!

Favorite Line: "She's just dancing, she's just dancing, understand? She's just dancing, dancing to the band."


#6 Deer In The Headlights- Owl City

This is Katherine's favorite, just from the line about the pepper spray! 

Favorite Line: "Met a girl in the parking lot,

And all I did was say hello.

Her pepper spray made it rather hard

For me to walk her home,

But I guess that's the way it goes."


#7 Somewhere Between Old And New- Dave Grusin

I didn't like this one as much as others, but the story is still sweet!

Favorite Line: "He's stranded on a basepath, somewhere between old and New York..."


#8 Joseph's Trouble- Wes King

Oh, what a good one! I've always loved the story of Joseph.

Favorite Lines: "So hard to let go what hurts so deep

How quickly we forget

God sees things we can't see yet

Well, there just might be some purpose in our pain".


#9 Johnny's Camaro- David Wilcox

I LOVE THIS ONE! It's so cool and the storytelling is so vivid! This song and Mushanga are my favorites so far!

Favorite Lines: "She was dreaming over the ocean

Dreaming of being home again

Dreaming over the ocean

Of what would never be the same."

"Maybe it was because it had been winter, you see, And she had just come back from summer. And she was just dressed normally. Everyone else was bundled up, But she had on her hiking boots and shorts and tank top, Hair tied back, and a knife on her belt, and a big old silver bracelet, I think it was the silver bracelet, But everybody was getting out of her way."


#10 Three Bird's in Babylon- The Grey Havens

Ok, add this one to the favorites list! I really like the sound of this one, it's kind of a minor key. The story reminds me of Proverbs where it says Wisdom stands in the city and calls out.

Favorite Line: "And everyday, she comes to say

"Look up, look at the dawn"

Yes, I escaped the shadows once

I listened to His Son?"



#11 The Men That Drive Me Places- Ben Rector

What a sweet song. I love hearing stories like this and the fact that everyone has their own "world" and their own problems, joys, triumphs, and sorrows, and we're all existing together, passing each other by on the street, and never knowing what was going on in the head of the other person just amazes me!

Favorite Line:

"Maybe you got dealt a good hand

Maybe you play it the best that you can

But I don't know how far you'd walk without those cards

In Howard and Danny's working shoes"


#12 Oh My Dear- Tenth Avenue North

Awww, that's sooo sad and sweet and good!!! Wow, it's really powerful too!

Favorite Line: "Oh, my dear, I'll wait for you

Grace tonight will pull us through

Until the tears have left your eyes

Until the fear can sleep at night

Until the demons that you're scared of

Disappear inside

Until the scale begins to crack

And this weight falls from your back

Oh, my dear, I'll keep you in my arms tonight"


#13 Roast Beef- Andy Gullahorn

Oh, my goodness, this song has so much packed into it and the whole concept is just so fun!

Favorite Line: 

"He saw his big chance for an escape

In helicopter rotating blades

And said goodbye to the pigsty

Quick as a guillotine he was gone"


#14 Wild Horse- Phil Keaggy

Hmmm, what a neat picture! 

Favorite Lines: "As time had past, there came at last

The lifting of His burden

His strength renewed, with gratitude

And joy, he became a servant."



#15 Sage of Lamberene- Innovator

Oh, so beautiful! Such a neat story behind it too!


Well, there you have it! What did you think of Chalice's songs? Were there any you hadn't heard before?  What are your favorite songs that tell a story? Do chat with me in the comments and be sure to check out Chalice's coordinating post on her beautiful blog: Lionhearted Art

I shall leave you with a goodbye song!

Yours,

Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment