Sunday, May 17, 2020

Shakespeare Tag!


MySay Share Page | Have you read any of Shakespeare's plays?

What ho and forsooth! We have been nominated for the Shakespeare Tag by Pioneer Girl! We do profusely apologize for our tardiness in posting this, but life has been a bit crazy! Full disclaimer, we are not very big Shakespeare fans, having only read one or two plays for literature class.



The Rules:
1. Answer truthfully, "Thou canst not then be false to any man." {I just put that as a rule because I wanted to use the quote. hee hee!}
2. Tag at least three people and let them know that they've been tagged. "For he today who does this tag with me shall be my brother..."
3.Link back to the person who tagged you and post a link to your post in the comments, because I want to read your answers and "There never was yet philosopher who could endure the toothache patiently."

Grace's Answers

1. What was the first exposure you ever had to Shakespeare?
I think it was the movie version of Taming of the Shrew staring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. My oldest sister brought it home one day and was horrified by it while I thought it was hilarious!

2. How many of Shakespeare's plays have you seen?
Sadly none in full length aside from Taming of the Shrew, but I have seen snippits of Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet.

3. What is your favorite Shakespeare play?
So I have read Julius Caesar and Hamlet and seen Taming of the Shrew, so out of those I think I liked Hamlet best.

4. What is your favorite non-Shakespearean play? {musicals are permissible}
OH NO YOU DIDN'T ASK ME TO CHOOSE!!!!!! I don't have one favorite, but currently I am very invested in Titanic (which has nothing to do with the movie that shares it's title) and I am always up to watch Les Miserables.

5. What is an adaptation of one of Shakespeare's plays that you like? Why?
I haven't seen enough to have a favorite.
6. Who is your favorite Shakespearean character?
Currently, it is Horatio from Hamlet.

7. What is your favorite Shakespeare quote?
I have several!






8. If you were in a Shakespearean production which play would you want to be in and which character?
I think it would be such fun to play Katherina in The Taming of the Shrew, but I'd be happy to be anyone... I think!

9. Have you read any of Shakespeare's sonnets, and if so, which is your favorite?
I'm sure I have, but I can't recall them at this time.

10. Have you ever written/tried to write a play?
Yes, actually. Katherine and I have completed one (which is known to us as "The Play" since we can't decide on a title!) and we are currently writing another and have 5 or 6 more in the works.

11. Cast one of the big five {Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Richard III, or Much Ado About Nothing} with modern actors from either the stage or the screen.
{you only have to do main characters.}
Yikes! Hamlet is freshest in my mind, so I shall attempt a tackle at it! I'm going to pick people that I think could do a good job and not if they've acted in anything like Shakespeare!

Hamlet- Sebastian Stan

Ophelia- Shailene Woodley

Gertrude- Julie Andrews

Claudius- John Rhys-Davies

Laertes- William Moseley

Horatio- Harry Richardson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katherine's Answers

1. What was the first exposure you ever had to Shakespeare? 
Probably, all the references to Romeo & Juliet.  I've never actually read or seen the play, but it's funny how the general public "knows" the story because of it's wide spread of popularity!

2. How many of Shakespeare's plays have you seen? 
(Oh, boy - you're going to wish you never nominated me, !) I confess, I've only seen one, and that one is.......drum roll, please.....

Elizabeth Of York GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I've also read Julius Caesar in school.

William Shakespeare. Julius Caesar: A Tragedy. As It Is Now Acted ...

The fatal lines will forever stick with me, 'Et tu Brute??'  I've also listened to some songs from "Kiss Me Kate", and watched a teeny bit of an adaption of "Romeo & Juliet".

3. What is your favorite Shakespeare play?  
Hmmm, between the ones I've read/seen I'd say, "Taming of the Shrew".  Though not my favorite movie, it was quite funny to watch and yes, you got me - Grace and I do quote from it occasionally!

'Will you, nil you, I will marry....you'! 

4. What is your favorite non-Shakespearean play? {musicals are permissible} ??  
Oh, I love so many!!  Sound of Music, Newsies, She Loves Me.......oh, yeah they all happen to be musicals!!

5. What is an adaptation of one of Shakespeare's plays that you like?  
I don't know if this falls under the adaption category, but I really like the movie "Pizza My Heart", which has a Romeo & Juliet story line.

L0 NV3V0: Pizza de mi corazon

Why?  Well, for one the feuding families are so hilarious!

Movies Watched In 20125. Pizza My Heart (2005)"That's It? We GIF ...

Almost Everyone Grows Old. GIF | Gfycat

(I'm sorry the Gifs aren't good quality, but you just had to see them anyway!)
As the "Montague" and the "Capulet" families each run competitive pizzerias, this movie NEEDS pizza to accompany your viewing of it!.....Otherwise, you might just be kicking yourself once you see those delectable, cheesy pies come out of the oven!!  Gina (Juliet) and Joe's (Romeo) relationship is very sweet and winning and the supporting character's romance is also sooooo very cute!  Such a good movie!

6. Who is your favorite Shakespearean character?  
I think I'll go with Hortensio from "Taming of the Shrew".  (He's the one with the tam o'shanter on his head below)

Only a Casual Acquaintance: 8 Great Beatles Costars | REBEAT Magazine

7. What is your favorite Shakespeare quote?

I would challenge you to a battle of wits | William shakespeare ...

I love that quote!!

8. If you were in a Shakespearean production which play would you want to be in and which character?  
Hmmmm.....Katharina (in the "Shrew") would be fun, though challenging.  Bianca could also be an option, though she's a little dull!  (Sorry, Bianca)  Ooh, I know!!  I could be the Widow Hortensio marries!

Best Victor Spinetti GIFs | Gfycat

Hee Hee!!

9. Have you read any of Shakespeare's sonnets, and if so, which is your favorite?  
I don't think I've read any.

10. Have you ever written/tried to write a play? 
Yes, Grace and I have written a play and have plans for more!

11. Cast one of the big five {Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Richard III, or Much Ado About Nothing} with modern actors from either the stage or the screen.
{you only have to do main characters.}

Oh, boy, I'm going to go with.....

~ Romeo & Juliet ~

(I will only cast the basic, basic characters since I'm delving into relatively unfamiliar waters here)

Poldark's Ellise Chappell on the future for Drake and Morwenna and ...

 ~ Romeo & Juliet ~

Eleanor Tomlinson as Demelza Poldark | Red hair, Redheads, Poldark


~ Juliet's Nurse ~



Reverend Hutton - Cranford (UK) Characters - ShareTV

~ Friar Laurence ~


Ok, Shakespeareans, how'd I do?  Did I ruin these characters completely with my actor/actresses choices??


Our Nominations:

We nominate

Sarah @His Voice Is Sweet

- Catherine @The Rebelling Muse

- Chalice @Lionhearted Art


Are you all big Shakespeare fans? Which is your favorite play? Who would you cast as your favorite characters? Do tell us all about it in the comments down below!





Au Revoir,
 Katherine and Grace

10 comments:

  1. Thank you ladies for doing my tag! I've been looking forward to reading your answers. I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to reading them until now, but you gals did break rule 3, so I didn't know that you'd done it.

    Now I need to read/see The Taming of the Shrew! I tend to forget that one, but since you both thought it was funny I'll have to try to remember.
    It's so cool that you guys have written a play, and are working on others. I've just started my first, and I'm really getting into it.

    Grace: I liked your quotes, I had only seen the love me or hate me one before. <3 Les Miserables. I like your cast, especially William Moseley as Laertes. Horatio is one of my favorites too.

    Katherine: <3 <3 The Sound of Music and Newsies. Your movie totally counts as an adaptation, in my opinion. it sounds like a fun movie. I hope to use your quote someday, I love it! I like your cast esthetic.

    Thank you so much for your fun answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about that! Life has been a bit crazy over here and it flew out of my mind! A fellow playwright! What is your play about?
      I'm glad you like the casting, I was a bit uncertain at times, but I think it would be really good!
      Thanks again for tagging us, it was alot of fun!

      Delete
    2. Oops! Glad you enjoyed our answers! Ooh, what is your play about?? Thanks so much for tagging us!

      Delete
    3. And yay - another Sound of Music and Newsies fan!!

      Delete
  2. Great quotes in this post! I hadn't heard them, but I agree that Shakespeare has some great lines!

    Grace, that would be a fantastic version of Hamlet! Man, now I really want to see Sebastian Stan play him.
    Katherine, those two are so sweet as Drake and Morwenna that I would absolutely bawl my eyes out if they were Romeo and Juliet, so yeah, it would be a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, yes he does!
      YES!!! I would love to see him take on this role!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, MovieCritic! Yay, you say my casting would be a success! Those two are such a sweet couple!!

      Delete
  3. Aaah!! I found the comments! (: Thanks again for the tag. It was so great reading your answers. I love your dream castings especially Sebastian Stan, William Moseley, and Lilly James. I'll do mine soon, God willing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lad you liked them! I know right? I thought the dream casting was going to be really hard, but then everyone just fell into place! I can't wait to read you answers! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sarah! We'll look forward to seeing your answers when they come out!

      Delete